Our Commitment To Privacy
What personal data do we collect?
The types of personal data that we collect from or about you depends on the circumstances in which the data is collected. Some examples include:
- Your name and contact details, including physical and postal address, email address, phone number, and mobile number.
- Financial and credit information if you are seeking to obtain finance for the purchase of a vehicle and, if you finance your vehicle with one of our finance providers, details of the finance, such as the amount financed and the type of finance product.
- Details about your vehicle, including its number plate, vehicle identification number (VIN), and service plan schedule.
- Information relating to your dealings with MG, Volkswagen or SKODA (including details of vehicle/s purchased, service and repair history, and responses to questions that we ask).
- Your driver’s licence details if you participate in a test drive, you purchase a vehicle or we are given these details from your or a third party.
- Demographic information about your age, gender and occupation, hobbies, interests and preferences when you provide us with that information e.g., when you enter a competition or take part in a customer experience survey.
- Details you provide us when making enquiries or providing feedback on our products and services, including, for example, enquiry details, your opinion on products and services, and records of your communications with us.
- Details you share as part of your public profile on a third-party social network, or that you create and share with us by posting it to one of our social networks.
- Information relating to the way you use or navigate our website.
- Other personal data that we permitted or required by law to obtain, as well as any other information that you choose to provide us.
How do we collect personal data?
We collect personal data from or about you in several ways, the most common being:
- From you directly either in person, over the phone, by email, or through our digital and online channels, for example, when:
- you make an enquiry about MG, Volkswagen or SKODA vehicles, parts, accessories or services, or if you request a test drive, brochure, specification sheet, information or other materials about such vehicles, parts, accessories or services;
- you interact with us online, including via our websites or through social media channels;
- you enter a promotion or competition carried out by us directly or carried out by a third party with official affiliation with or support from us; or
- you participate in a marketing, product development, profiling, survey or market research campaign, including on social media channels;
- From MG, Volkswagen or SKODA and importers and distributors of MG, Volkswagen or SKODA and their related entities, service providers, contractors, and agents e.g. if you participate in a customer survey managed by MG, Volkswagen or SKODA or an importer or distributor of MG, Volkswagen or SKODA.
- From the Motor Vehicle Register, in accordance with our authorisation to access this register for specified purposes under section 241 of the Land Transport Act 1998.
- From our finance providers.
- From other third parties, including our related entities, service providers, contractors, and agents.
Why do we collect personal data and what do we do with it?
We only collect personal data that we consider is necessary for the effective functioning or activities of our business. We only hold, use and share personal data for the purposes for which it was originally collected (and for related purposes which you would reasonably expect), except where we are required or authorised by or under law to use it for a different purpose, or if you have consented to another use. Some of the specific purposes include:
- to enable us to communicate with you, including responding to your enquiries about our vehicles, parts, accessories, services or offers;
- in order to do business with you e.g., to administer your vehicle purchase, lease, warranty, any extended service plan, or ongoing vehicle service, and obtaining required vehicles and parts on a timely basis to meet your needs;
- for reasons related to our business operations, such as to ensure we continue to deliver quality products and services to our customers and potential customers;
- to facilitate your application for finance for the purchase of your vehicle;
- to process sales orders and administer accounts, warranty records and vehicle service records;
- to provide you with necessary support;
- to attend to or assist in the servicing or repair of your vehicle, including the provision of online vehicle service and repair booking facilities;
- for product development, market research, and customer surveys (for example, to obtain your feedback and find out your level of satisfaction with our products and services);
- for marketing and promotional activities, including to contact you directly or through our (or our affiliates’) service providers and research agencies for these purposes;
- to carry out our legal compliance obligations, such as to conduct a product safety recall where necessary or inform you of a customer notification or field service action affecting your vehicle;
- to send you service and warrant of fitness reminders;
- to contact you with details of new vehicles, products or services, or automotive products offered by distributors and manufacturers of MG, Volkswagen or SKODA, or other special offers or promotions that we think may be of interest to you;
- to enable the features of our websites, to improve our websites by determining which of our products, features and services are most popular, and to personalise the experience of the users of our websites;
- for other purposes which we tell you, and to which you consent, whether expressly or by implication by providing us with your personal data with knowledge of how we intend to use it; and
- without your consent for purposes that are required or authorised by or under any applicable law, including (but not limited to) meeting our legal obligations, assisting in the investigation of a breach of an agreement or a law, assisting in law enforcement purposes, and protecting our and our customers’ business interests.
Who has access to your personal data?
- To our employees, officers, contractors, agents, and third party service providers (for example, mailing houses, marketing agencies, airline programme partners, market research providers, printers, insurance providers, financiers, website and data hosting providers, data analytics providers, and other IT suppliers).
- To our related or affiliated companies and their respective employees, officers, contractors, service providers and agents (and our related or affiliated companies may disclose the personal data directly to their contractors, service providers and agents).
- To the importers, distributors and manufacturers of MG, Volkswagen and SKODA and their affiliated or related companies and their respective employees, officers, contractors, service providers, dealers, agents, partners, and licensees (and such persons may disclose the personal data directly to their respective contractors, service providers, dealers, agents, partners, and licensees).
- To our accountants, insurers, lawyers, auditors and other professional advisors in order for us to obtain their advice.
- To your employer if your vehicle is provided by your employer as part of a corporate or government fleet policy.
- To any other third parties to whom you direct or permit us to disclose your personal data e.g. third parties with whom we have directly or indirectly arranged services for your benefit.
- To any other third parties that require the information for law enforcement or to prevent a serious threat to public safety.
- As otherwise permitted or required by or under any applicable law.
Should we sell a part of or the whole of our business, all our records of personal data will be transferred to the new business owner or any of its related or affiliated companies (as the case may be).
Disclosure of personal data overseas
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose personal data are located outside New Zealand. For example, as above, the distributors and manufactures of MG, Volkswagen or SKODA and their affiliated or related companies. In addition, our websites and systems and those of our group companies may also be based on servers located outside of New Zealand. When we disclose personal data to third parties based overseas, we will comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act that relate to the transfer of personal data overseas.
Storage and security of personal data
We will take reasonable steps to protect your personal data from misuse, interference, corruption, loss or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, including through physical, electronic and procedural safeguards.
If we provide you with any passwords or other security devices it is important that you keep these secret and confidential and do not allow them to be used by any other person. You should notify us immediately if the security of these devices is breached to prevent the unauthorised disclosure of your personal data.
If we become aware of any breach involving your personal data we will comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act relating to the reporting of privacy breaches.
How long we keep your personal data
We will keep your personal data for as long as it is required for the purposes for which it was collected, taking into consideration our need to answer queries or resolve problems, provide improved and new services, and comply with legal requirements. When the personal data that we collect is no longer required or is not required to be retained by law, we destroy, delete or anonymise it.
You can access and correct personal data
You can ask us whether or not we hold personal data about you. You may also ask for a copy of the personal data and/or request that corrections or changes are made to it. You can make such requests in relation to your personal data by contacting our Privacy Officer using the details set out below. Please quote your name and address and, if possible, provide brief details of what information you want a copy of (this helps us to more readily locate your information). We will provide you with access to your personal data unless we are required or authorised to refuse such access by law. In some cases, there may be a charge associated with retrieving and providing a copy of your personal data to you. If so, we will advise you of this prior to sending your information.
All such enquiries should be directed to:
Tristram European Limited
Cnr Hillside & Wairau Rd, Takapuna, North Shore
P.O Box 300-378, Albany, Auckland
Attention: Privacy Officer
Phone: 09 441 0090
Privacy queries or complaints
If you have any questions or complaints about the handling of your personal data, please contact our Privacy Officer in the first instance using the contact details set out above and we will do our best to assist. If you are still not satisfied, you can make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner. Further details on how to do this are available on the Privacy Commissioner website at www.privacy.org.nz.